Italian island of Burano is located in the northern part of the Venetian lagoon, at a distance of seven kilometers from the center of Venice. It is considered to be a district of the city, although it has its own independent history.
Initially Burano was a fishing village. Since the beginning of the sixteenth century it was considered a crafts center, where lived many masters in lace embroidery. Until 1923 it had an independent status. Then, the island became a district of Venice. In addition to its variegated coloring, the tourists are attracted also by the Venice Lace Museum and the leaning bell tower.